Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

No whining! memory sentence 2.18.13

Running errands with Mama :o).

Watching the first pilot episode from "Mission: Impossible!" from 1966 with Dad :o).  The best part is the opening sequence and soundtrack!!!  Love that!  We agreed that our memory of the series was far more cool and intriguing/mesmerizing/height of suspense than it was in reality.  Isn't that interesting?  I remember it being riveting.  Oh and he said, "Look at Barbara Bain. What an easy job! All she has to do is sit there looking pretty and smoke a cigarette."  I said, "Easy?  You try sitting there looking that pretty smoking a cigarette."  Got a good laugh out of him for that one!

On the way out of town, I decided to stop in the bathroom at the main building near the guard gate before hitting the road--glad i did too because there was an old guy kinda stuck in the door of the men's room because the doors are too heavy to keep open and get out of when you're that unsteady on your feet.  I asked if I could help and he said, "Yeah.  Would you hold this door open for me so it won't hit me in the butt?" And I said, "Sure! Dang, this is a heavy door," and he said, "It's a great door except that it doesn't really let you get out."  So I held the door for him---pulled the walker to the door way---it was in the hall. What I LOVED about him was that he was so matter of fact about it all.  I asked if I could help and he told me what I could do and then he focused completely on his walking---he was exceedingly slow and just moved each foot about a centimeter at a time, so deliberate with each movement, but he didn't apologize for needing help and he didn't apologize for being so slow---i LOVE that!!! Just went about his business and did what he had to do and that was so refreshing!  No whining!  No apology.  I learned a valuable and empowering lesson of freedom. No apologies and no whining!  Even if we need a little help, even if it might be seen as an inconvenience.  It's not.  It's okay to do what has to be done and appreciate what people contribute to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment