Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Losing car keys at the ACT (flash non fiction)

The room is half full of students ready to take the ACTs.  The process of checking in all the students is going very slowly as we have about a hundred and fifty expected today.  My count is 25.  One student is called Dalton—he’s tall and filled out like healthy senior guys get.  He has a friendly, sincere smile that frames a truckload of metal braces.  In fact, he’s the youngest of five boys who hauntingly look identical.  His seat number puts him in the front row and he fidgets for three or four minutes and finally says to me, as I’m standing in the doorway chatting with my neighbor teacher as we await the students who trickle in, “Ms Ballard, I can’t find my car keys.”
    “That’s bad.”
    He nods.
    “Maybe they’ve fallen in the hallway or out front on your way in from the car.  Can’t let you out to look, though.  Once everyone is checked in up front, I’ll ask Ms Marcus if she’d be willing to take a look outside for you.”
    He nods again.  “Last time I lost my keys, I found them in the car with the engine running while I was in McDonalds.”  It’s that priceless impish yet innocent and charming grin with all the metal that probably keeps him alive at home.
    Twenty minutes later the rest of the testing students have filled my room and I watch down the hall another five minutes or so until all the students testing elsewhere are in and call to Ms Marcus to tell her about the keys and that Dalton drives a red Prius.
    “Sure, no problem,” she began with her fabulous edge of sarcasm, a sense of humor that stays in tact even in the midst of her patience being tried and stretched.  “I’ll look, since that’s what I’m here for, to go look for some kid’s car keys he left only God knows where.” She walked away toward the front door.
    “He thinks he might have left them in the ignition. With the car running,” I call after her.
    A girl in the back of another row says, “Wait, are you talking about a car out there now?  What color is your car?”
    “It’s a red Prius”
    “Oh yeah, it’s out there.  Engine’s still running.” 
    The class busted out laughing.  Dalton shook his head.
    “I parked next to it and looked over and there was nobody there.  I was wondering what happened to the driver.”
    The kid next to him says, “Yeah, how can you do that?  How can you just not know your keys are still in the ignition? I mean, you got out of the car and the engine’s still running?”
    Dalton shrugs his shoulders.  “Somebody asked me for help and so I jumped out of the car to help him.  Never thought of it again.”
    Did I mention Dalton is the youngest of five brothers, all exactly like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment