Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

National Geographic---love that magazine!

Monday, April 1, was the last day of spring break.  My NatGeo came in that morning's mail and it was heavenly to sit out on the back patio and just absorb it.  Seems I put these wonderful mags to the side and then have trouble ever getting back to them and reading them but I love them.  My father loves them, too, and so I have kept up his subscription as a primary birthday present.

One of my favorite students who I recently learned (but not from her) was dis-located by Katrina and had recently moved into this area came up to me after class giddy with excitement waving the April NatGeo--same one I had just read Monday.  For a brief second I thought it was a particular story--then I realized it was the magazine itself!  She turned 17 last week and her aunt gave her a subscription to NatGeo and she was so excited because her very first issue had just come in the mail yesterday!

How refreshing and hopeful to have a student this age and this day excited about something so amazing and worthwhile as this magazine!  Especially after another class today---who the vast majority watch reality tv--the likes of "Cat Fishing" and "Duck Dynasty"--talked me into watching an episode of DD.  I cannot watch Cat Fishing. I tried several weeks ago when they mentioned it. But today I promised I would watch one episode of Duck Dynasty, and I just now did.  It was THE single most boring 21 minutes of my entire life.  Seriously?  These kids' lives are so boring and superficial that they spend their time watching other people's boring lives?  That was so discouraging.  Made the excitement over the NatGeo that much more fabulous and worth celebrating!

I am tempted to digress to sheer disgust that A&E has wholly turned to shallow and superficial "E" and left "A" far far far behind.  What is their problem?  They want to make money.  What is wrong with a society and civilization that watches that stuff?  To the point of profit and perpetuation?  But I do digress.  Feel free to share your opinion---especially if you know of A&E shows that are heavy on the A...


No comments:

Post a Comment